Yonge Street south of College Street - field investigation near College Station
July 21 to August 25 (weekends only)
The TTC is committed to achieving a barrier-free transit system by 2025, in support of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Work description and purpose
As part of the investigative phase for planning and design to make College Station accessible, TTC will start a condition assessment of the soil in the vicinity of the station. The assessment involves obtaining ground samples, which requires some drilling and coring on Yonge Street between College and Gerrard streets. The work is scheduled to take approximately four weekends to complete, weather permitting.
- Activities will include the drilling and soil sampling of four boreholes located in the sidewalk and roadway of Yonge Street between College Street and Gerrard Street.
- Preparatory work will commence on Thursday, July 19 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Front entrance/exit to buildings/businesses on Yonge Street will be maintained.
- A work zone will be established for the crew to safely carry out the required drilling work.
- The four boreholes will be located as follows:
- East sidewalk, approximately 65 metres south of College Street - near 433 Yonge Street
- West sidewalk, approximately 42 metres south of College Street
- Northbound and southbound centre traffic lanes, approximately 54 metres south of College Street
- Noise and some vibration can be expected when the equipment is in full operation.
- Additional boreholes for ground samples may be required at a later date.
- A minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained through the work area.
- When working on the sidewalks, pedestrian access may be detoured around the work zone.
A drilling rig, split-spoon driver and a hydro-vacuum truck will be used to carry out this work to dig a guide hole. This will ensure that underground utilities are not disturbed during the drilling.
During the weekends from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Drilling will not commence before 9 a.m.
Subway service will not be affected by this work.
Thank you for your patience while we work to make the TTC accessible.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Finch West: Elevator out of service between concourse and Line 1 platform.
Last updated 7:33 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service