Yonge Street north of Carlton/College - subway ventilation shaft essential repairs
Starting April 22 for approximately eight weeks
What are we doing and why?
TTC will begin state of good repair to the subway ventilation shaft situated in the northbound curb lane of Yonge Street, north of Carlton/College Street. This work is scheduled to take approximately eight weeks to complete, weather permitting.
- Replacement of the metal grate.
- Rehabilitation of the concrete and steel beam support structure.
- Restoring the surface area surrounding the vent after repairs are completed.
A concrete saw-cutter, hand-held power chipping tools, a generator, scaffolding, a small crane, and concrete truck as required.
Work hours and timeline
Starting April 22, 2019 for approximately eight weeks. To help expedite completion, work will be scheduled from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Occasionally, the TTC crew will work on Saturdays after 9 a.m.
In preparation for the work, some overnight activity is required. Beginning on April 22 at 12:01 a.m., crews will begin setting up a safe work zone, and installing supports to secure a work platform inside the vent shaft from street level. Due to complications in the vent shaft, crews may have to work through the night to set up the platform. Efforts will be made to keep noise to a minimum. Overnight work will also be required for the removal of the platform upon completion of the work.
Once the platform is safely installed, the loudest noise will occur during the first week of work in the day time hours involving concrete saw-cutting and removal.
Sidewalk and traffic restrictions
- The east sidewalk next to the secured work zone will be maintained during the work.
- Northbound traffic on Yonge Street will be reduced to one lane through the work zone, and will be required to merge into the centre lane from approximately 50m south of the intersection.
Thank you for your patience during this essential infrastructure repair work.
For further information:
Niki Angelis, Community Liaison, 416-981-1532; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service