Dundas Street West at Sorauren and Howard Park avenues
March 19 to 28, 2018 - essential rail repairs at streetcar stops
Work description and purpose
Essential track repairs on Dundas Street West at Sorauren Avenue and at Howard Park Avenue have been recently identified by the TTC that must be addressed to maintain a state of good repair. Shuttle buses are currently operating on the 505 Dundas route and will be maintained throughout these repairs.
TTC track crews are currently scheduled to conduct rail repairs at both locations simultaneously between March 19 and 28*. Work activities will include minor breaking and removal of concrete, replacing existing rail with new rail, and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and parking details
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zones for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through each work area and slightly beyond in order to create a safe work zone for the crew and to maintain traffic flow.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by the morning of March 28 after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. The majority of the work will be done during the day time (7 a.m. to 9 p.m.). Concrete pouring will likely occur overnight.
The following is the general sequence of work and timeline:
- After the work zones are established in the early morning of March 19, track crews will begin minor concrete excavation to expose the rails to be replaced. Concrete chipping will follow to completely expose the rails. New rails will be delivered to the work area in preparation for installation. The new rails will be stored in the track allowance until installation. Work will continue into the next morning.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail. This will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure. The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zones are removed for the resumption of full road use.
The 505 Dundas route is currently being operated with buses at all hours, due to shortage of streetcars. Capacity will be maintained at current levels and there will be no route diversions required for this work.
Thank you for your patience during these essential rail repairs.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service