Edna Avenue near Dundas West Station - subway ventilation shaft repairs
October 10 to November 24, 2017
Work description and purpose
Starting on October 10, 2017, TTC will begin state of good repair to the subway ventilation shaft situated on the south sidewalk of Edna Avenue just west of Dundas Street. This work is scheduled to take approximately six to seven weeks to complete, weather permitting. All work will occur on the south side of Edna Avenue in the sidewalk area.
Sidewalk and traffic restrictions
- The south sidewalk will be closed for the duration of the work. Pedestrians will be required to use the north sidewalk until work is complete.
- The curb lane will be closed through the work zone.
- Replacement of the steel grating.
- Rehabilitation of the concrete and steel beam support structure, requiring the removal of the top 0.6 metres (2 feet) of concrete along the shaft perimeter.
- Restoring the sidewalk area after repairs are completed. There will be a period when work will be suspended for concrete curing time.
A concrete saw-cutter, hand-held power chipping tools, a generator, scaffolding, a small crane, and concrete truck as required. After the first three days we will generate the loudest noise during the repairs due to the concrete saw cutting but this should only last for 5 days.
To help expedite completion, work will be scheduled from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Occasionally, the TTC crew may need to work on Saturdays. In preparation for the work, a section on the south side of the street will be cordoned off during the early morning of October 10 to ensure a safe work zone.
Streetcar operation through the area will be maintained. The transit stop on Edna Avenue will be temporally relocated in close proximity to the existing stop during this work. Subway service will not be affected by this work.
Thank you for your patience during this essential infrastructure repair work.
For further information:
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service