Gerrard and Parliament intersection - streetcar track renewal
May 14 to June 4, 2018 - three week closure
Content/timeline accurate at time of postingSee the City's pre-construction notice for this project.
Work description and purpose
The City and the TTC will be replacing the streetcar tracks at the intersection of Gerrard Street East and Parliament Street.
To accommodate this track work, the intersection will be completely fully closed in all directions for three weeks – from 5 a.m. on Monday, May 14 to 6 a.m. on Monday, June 4. A minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction will be open on June 4.
The first few days of the full intersection closure are the most disruptive and involve breaking and removing concrete within the streetcar track areas. Concrete breaking will stop at 11 p.m.
- The rail installation phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work and extended weekend hours by TTC crews. The overnight rail work may consist of moving rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding. After-hours work by TTC is required to support the daytime construction and complete the project as quickly as possible.
- Pre-assembled rail panels on flatbed trailers will be temporarily stored in the track allowance near the closure limits. The rail panels help speed up installation, thereby reducing overnight work.
- TTC office/lunch trailers will be parked on Gerrard Street (south of Anniversary Park) west of Parliament Street. These trailers will be removed at the end of the project.
TTC service changes (5 a.m. on May 14 to 6 a.m. on June 4)
The 506/306 Carlton route is currently operating with a bus service. During construction and closure at Gerard and Parliament, all buses will be restricted from entering the intersection.
- 506/306 Carlton Route: Buses will divert around the closed intersection both ways via Carlton Street, Sherbourne Street, Dundas Street East, River Street and Gerrard Street East to route.
- 65/365 Parliament Route: Buses will divert both ways via Parliament Street, Carlton Street, Sherbourne Street, Dundas Street East and Parliament Street.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
City project manager:
Soheil Nejatian, 416-396-7154, Soheil.firstname.lastname@example.org.
TTC contact for track work:
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service