Howard Park - track renewal in 2020
Work at High Park Loop starting on July 6
What we are doing and why
Starting Monday, July 6 (rescheduled from June 22), TTC and the City of Toronto will be conducting a multi-phase streetcar track renewal project on Howard Park Avenue. See the original City of Toronto notice from June 2 here.
Project phases and limits- schedule subject to change
- July 6 to mid September: High Park Loop – track renewal.
- Early July to early August: Parkside Drive intersection, and/to west of Indian Road – track renewal.
- Early August to mid August: West of Indian Road to east of Sunnyside Avenue – track renewal.
- Mid August to late August: Partial south sidewalk and some roadway work.
- Late August to mid September: Partial north sidewalk and some roadway work.
- September 13 to mid-October: Intersection of Howard Park / Dundas / Lynd – track, sidewalk/road.
- The preliminary work will be conducted between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., with some after hour deliveries of rail, including for safety reasons pulling the rail strings overnight through the Howard Park/Roncesvalles intersection to the westbound curb lane on Howard Park Avenue east of Roncesvalles Avenue with a Police escort for storage. Some noise can be expected during this activity.
- During track renewal, there will be periods of 24-hours around-the-clock work. Excavation activities and heavy breaking will be carried out at various times throughout the day. Concrete breaking activities will occur between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Breaking work is the most disruptive and will typically last the first three days for each phase of the construction.
- Around-the-clock work during periods of rail installation by TTC track crews is required to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete and support daytime construction. Overnight rail work by TTC may consist of moving new rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding.
Parking and traffic restrictions
- During the preliminary rail welding, on-street parking will be restricted within the work zone to maintain one lane of traffic in each direction. Left turns will be prohibited within the work zone. Traffic may need to approach from the opposite direction in order to make a right turn into side streets or driveways.
- During the track project, one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during the work on Howard Park Avenue with the exception of Phases 2, 3 and 6 when each section will be fully closed.
- City of Toronto staff has arranged for alternate parking in the area to be provided for displaced cars during phases 2 and 3. Alternate parking letters will be sent to affected residents on Howard Park Avenue in early June. See City contact below.
TTC service – 506 Carlton route
- During the track renewal project streetcars will be replaced with buses along the entire route. Buses will be diverted to the Dundas West Station. Customers are asked to walk to the nearest transit service crossing Howard Park Avenue, at Parkside Drive (80 Queensway buses) or Roncesvalles Avenue (504/304 King streetcars) or Dundas Street West (506/306 Carlton streetcars and 505 Dundas buses). A service update for the Dundas/Howard Park intersection will be provided at a later date.
Thank you for your patience during this track renewal project.
For further information:
TTC: Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, 647-468-4183, email@example.com
City of Toronto: Paul Martin, Senior Public Consultation Coordinator, 416 392-6681, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service