Main Street Station - station upgrades
Roof work started on April 23, 2018, bus/streetcar loop closing on May 13, 2018
Work description and purpose
TTC will be working to upgrade the infrastructure at Main Street Station. These upgrades include roof replacement, sections of the bus roadway and platform rehabilitation, improved lighting, relocation of the walkway, track replacement and new streetcar overhead. The majority of the work is scheduled to take place when the bus/streetcar loop is closed from May 13 to September 2018. As a result the project will involve transit diversions.
See the initial/preliminary project information provided from the Main Street Station Open House (.pdf) on January 17, 2018.
TTC staff will be at Main Street Station (street level) on Thursday, May 10 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. to answer questions about the project.
TTC service starting Sunday, May 13
Temporary routing changes are required during the closure of the bus/streetcar loop starting May 13.
- 20 Cliffside, 23 Dawes and 300 Blue Night: route maintained; on street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 62 Mortimer, 64 Main and 87 Cosburn: route maintained, buses diverting to/from Main Street Station; on street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 113 Danforth and 135 Gerrard: route shortened, buses diverting to Victoria Park Station; no stop at Danforth/Main.
- 306 Carlton: route maintained and extended to Victoria Park Station via Danforth and Victoria Park.
- 506 Carlton: route diverting to Victoria Park Station from Gerrard/Main via Gerrard and Victoria Park; no stop at Danforth/Main.
Temporary stops will be posted on Danforth Avenue near Main Street where customers can transfer between buses and subway. Nearby parking will be restricted as required, including areas to accommodate bus stops.
Preliminary work activities started on April 23
The preliminary work includes delivery of roof material, building scaffolding around the station, setting up fencing and hoarding and removing existing roof layers. No transit diversions are required for this preliminary work.
What to expect during preliminary work between April 23 to May 14
- Delivery of material – overnight for safety when the station is closed
- Building scaffolding – daytime with the exception of the first night. For safety, the first night (10 p.m. April 23 to 6 a.m. April 24) will involve building scaffolding at the main entrance when the station is closed and there are no customers/pedestrians in the area.
- Fencing and hoarding set-up – daytime
- Preliminary roof removal – daytime
- Roof refuse disposal, as required.
What to expect during stages of work starting May 14
- Increased levels of one-way bus operation on Barrington and on Chisholm between Danforth and Doncaster.
- Buses will return to regular routing to/from Main Street Station when TTC and Hydro One work stages permit.
- Streetcar track/concrete replacement in front of the station and inside the bus/streetcar loop (around-the-clock during rail installation).
- Concrete replacement within track; south of the station to the middle of Danforth Avenue (weekend).
- Rehabilitating the bus roadway and passenger platform inside the station, and lighting upgrades (daytime).
- Station roof and canopy work (daytime, some night work may be required).
- Pedestrian walkway relocation (daytime).
- Overhead wiring upgrades (day and night work).
The majority of the work will take place during weekdays from 7a.m. to 9 p.m., and on weekends as required. Continuous work is required during rail installation phases of the track work to ensure the integrity and quality of the new rail and concrete installation.
While we cannot eliminate all noise, crews will do their best to keep levels to a minimum.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service