Queen Street East - rail replacement at Pape and at Empire
October 10 to 14, 2017
Work description and purpose
During the week of October 10 to 14, pending weather, TTC track crews will work to replace worn rail at two streetcar stops on Queen Street East – the eastbound stop at Empire Avenue and the westbound stop at Pape Avenue. Work will take place at both locations simultaneously.
The rail at the westbound stop at Carlaw Avenue will be replaced on a later date – a notice will be issued.
Preliminary concrete saw-cutting at all three stops will take place on October 6 in advance of the work.
Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through both work zones. On-street parking will be restricted through the work area to create a safe work zone for the crew.
Work hours and timeline
Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. The following is the general sequence of work and timeline for each streetcar stop.
- Starting at approximately 7 a.m. after the work zones are established, a track crew will begin using a milling machine to remove the majority of the concrete in the track area of the streetcar stops. Concrete chipping will follow to completely expose the rails. Pre-welded new strings of rail will be delivered to the work area in preparation for installation at the streetcar stop. The new rails will be stored in the track allowance until installation. Work will continue into the next morning.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail. This will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure. The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zones are removed for the resumption of full road use.
TTC service – 5 a.m. October 10 to 5 a.m. October 15
- Queen streetcars will operate on Queen Street between Broadview Avenue and Connaught Avenue, diverting via north on Broadview Avenue, west on Dundas Street and south on Parliament Street to regular westbound routing on Queen Street.
- Queen Shuttle buses will operate on Queen Street (through the work zones) between Neville Park Loop and Queen/Victoria.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service