Queen and Jarvis, Queen and Church - rail repair and overhead wire upgrades
October 12 to 15, 2018
From Friday, October 12 to Monday, October 15, TTC crews will conduct a rail repair on Queen Street East at Jarvis Street, and upgrades to the streetcar trolley wire at the Queen/Church intersection.
Work activities will be contained within the track area and will include minor breaking and removal of concrete to expose the rail, replacing existing rail with new rail, and placement of new concrete.
*Fall weather conditions can delay the start of planned local rail repairs. In such instances, the work is rescheduled for the next best available date.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location and length of the work zone may prohibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning around 5 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. While the majority of the excavation will be done between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., overnight activity will occur.
- On Friday at 10 a.m. the track crew will set up the work zone and begin localized excavation to expose the rail to be replaced. Regular streetcar service will continue to run until 9 p.m.
- Concrete chipping will follow to completely expose the rail. Work will continue into the next morning.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure. The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use on Monday, October 15.
- The overhead wire upgrades at the Queen/Church intersection will occur overnight each night.
TTC service - 501/301 Queen route – (9 p.m. Oct. 12 to 5 a.m. Oct. 15)
501/301 Queen streetcars:
- Eastbound: Victoria Street, Adelaide Street East, Church Street, King Street East, Parliament Street and Queen Street East to route.
- Westbound: Parliament Street, King Street East, Church Street, Richmond Street, Victoria Street and Queen Street East to route.
501/301 Queen shuttle bus:
- Eastbound: Adelaide Street West, University Avenue, Queen Street, River Street and Dundas Street East to westbound routing.
- Westbound: Broadview Avenue, Queen Street, Duncan Street to eastbound routing.
Thank you for your patience during this essential rail repair and overhead work.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service