Queen Street West at Palmerston Avenue - rail replacement at streetcar stops
April 21 to 23 and April 28 to 30, 2017
Work description and purpose
During the weekends of April 21 to 23 and 28 to 30, pending weather, TTC track crews will begin work to replace worn rails at the eastbound and westbound streetcar stops on Queen Street West at Palmerston Avenue. This work will require 501/301 Queen streetcars to divert around the work areas both weekends.
- April 21 to 23 – east side of Palmerston Avenue (westbound streetcar stop)
- April 28 to 30 – west side of Palmerston Avenue (eastbound streetcar stop)
Traffic and parking restrictions
Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zones. On-street parking will be restricted through the work areas to create a safe work zone for the crew, as well provide a temporary storage location for the new rails until they are installed.
Work hours and timeline
Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete, and to allow regular streetcar service through the area to resume on Monday morning. The following is the general sequence of work and timeline for each streetcar stop.
- Friday: At approximately 6 p.m., Queen streetcars will be diverted and the track crew will begin using the milling machine to remove the majority of the concrete in the track area of the streetcar stop. Concrete chipping will follow to completely expose the rails. Track crews will also weld new strings of rail in the track allowance in preparation for installation at the streetcar stop. The new rails will be stored in the track allowance until installation. Work will continue into Saturday morning.
- Saturday: Old rail will be replaced with the new rail. This will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Sunday: Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure. The newly placed concrete requires curing time (approximately 5 a.m. Monday) before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road and streetcar service on Monday morning.
TTC service changes (6 p.m. Fridays to 5 a.m. Mondays)
- 501 Queen streetcars will divert via Queen Street West, Shaw Street, King Street, Spadina Avenue and Queen Street West to route.
- 501 shuttle buses will operate on Queen Street West between University Avenue and Shaw Street.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service