Church and Richmond intersection - City watermain replacement and TTC track renewal
May 11 to June 30, 2020
What we are doing and why
The City of Toronto and Toronto Transit Commission will begin renewal of the aged streetcar tracks at the intersection of Church Street and Richmond Street East. This work will begin soon after the City completes some watermain work at the intersection currently underway. The City's construction notice can be found here.
The construction work on Church Street and Richmond Street East will be staged in two phases.
Phase 1: City watermain replacement from May 11 to late May* – partial road closure
Phase 2: TTC track replacement from late May* to June 30* – full road closure
*Timeline for the full intersection closure may change slightly due to watermain test results.
TTC new rail, equipment and material storage
TTC will deliver rail panels on flatbed trailers prior to the start of the track work and park the trailers on the track lanes at the following locations: Delivery is tentatively scheduled overnight between May 20 and 22.
- Three flatbed trailers on Richmond Street between Church Street and Victoria Street
- Two flatbed trailers on Church Street south of Richmond Street
- One flatbed trailer on Church Street north of Richmond Street
- Office trailer and material storage on Richmond Street west of Jarvis Street
- Equipment used for new rail installation will be stored near the work zone
Work on this project will have periods of 24-hours around-the-clock. Excavation activities and heavy breaking will be carried out at various times throughout the day. Concrete breaking activities will occur between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Concrete breaking work is the most disruptive and will typically last the first 1-3 days for each phase of the construction.
Around-the-clock work during periods of rail installation by TTC track crews is required to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete. Overnight rail work by TTC may consist of moving new rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding. The phase involving new rail installation at the Richmond/Church intersection will take a period of eight to nine days.
Traffic, pedestrian and cyclist restrictions
From May 11 – late May* during watermain work: Partial intersection closure.
- Richmond St East will be reduced to one lane of westbound traffic through the work area.
- Church Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work area.
From Late May* - June 30*: Full intersection closure.
- Richmond Street will be closed to westbound through traffic west of Jarvis St after the Green P lot.
- Church Street closed between Ditty Lane and Lombard Street.
- Local traffic on Church Street may be limited or restricted at Queen Street and at Adelaide Street during the period of new rail installation at the intersection.
- Sidewalks will remain accessible and pedestrians will be safely detoured around the work area to access local businesses.
- Cyclists are advised not to ride through the construction zone. Cyclists should consider using an alternate route; Sherbourne Street to King Street to travel west through Church Street.
No TTC regular service routings are affected by this watermain replacement and track renewal project.
Garbage and Recycling: Please follow your normal routine. If required, the contractor will move bins to an appropriate location and return them. Please ensure that you label your bins with your address.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
- City of Toronto inquiries: Paul Martin, 416-392-3074, email@example.com
- TTC inquiries: Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, 647-468-4183, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service