Russell Carhouse - acoustic wall (along Minto Street)
Construction to start as early as January 4, 2021
The TTC is committed to reducing noise for our neighbours who live near Russell Carhouse. As such, TTC will build an acoustic wall along the far west side of the Russell Carhouse. The new acoustic wall will include the following design features:
- 7 metre wall (at its highest point), 2.5 metre wall (at its lowest point)
- Transparent panels designed to provide more light to Minto Street (bird decals will also be added)
- Anti-graffiti coating
- Wall material is a gray patterned concrete (natural stone texture)
- Street light and streetcar poles will be incorporated into the design
- Please note that the acoustic wall will reduce noise, but that some noise from normal streetcar operations is expected even after the wall is built (track lubrication units are installed in the yard to help reduce noise from streetcar operations).
Please view the notice for renderings/images of the new acoustic wall (PDF).
Acoustic Wall Construction
Crews on behalf of TTC will begin the preliminary works for the construction of the wall as early as January 4, 2021. The overall project is expected to be completed by end of 2021 (*pending weather, Covid-19 and unforeseen events).
Here is a general overview of the construction activities to expect:
- Hydro vacuum work (for approximately two days) to expose/locate underground utilities is currently scheduled for early January, 2021. Noise associated with construction can be expected with this work.
- Preliminary utility works: these are managed by third parties such as Toronto Hydro. They own their infrastructure and will notify residents directly of their works.
- Trailers for construction staff will be set up in the TTC yard.
- Preparing the area for the work zone including the removal of vegetation along the existing fence
- Remove existing fencing, poles and retaining wall.
- Install protective construction fencing to secure the area and tree protection.
- Work to rehabilitate the duct bank near the future wall is also required.
- Later, they will install new acoustic wall by drilling in new posts, solid concrete panels, then installing prefabricated noise and glass panels.
- New streetcar poles will be installed.
- Reinstatement of the nearby private properties, City ROW area and landscaping.
- Construction vehicles and equipment will be present in the neighbourhood.
- Some streetcars will be relocated to Leslie Barns to accommodate construction.
- The 1401 Queen St E. Mural will be maintained.
Noise and work hours
The majority of work will take place Monday to Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Some overnight and weekend work will be required during the course of this project in order to complete the work as quickly as possible. Noise, dust and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum.
Future Russell Carhouse Upgrades and Schedule
- Track upgrades (bringing them to a state of good repair) – date TBD
- Carhouse modifications (extension and renovation for minor maintenance) – date TBD
For further information:
Denise Jayawardene, Senior Community Liaison, 416-885-9552, email@example.com.
162 Lawrence-Donway: Detour eastbound via The Donway W, Don Mills Rd E, Lawrence Ave E and The Donway E due to construction.
Last updated 8:47 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service