Scarborough Subway Extension - geotechnical and general survey work
January 10, 2017 to December 2017
This week crews will continue preparatory geotechnical drilling and general survey activities, in various locations, for the future Scarborough subway extension of Line 2.
- Geotechnical crews will drill 55 boreholes in the road and in the City boulevard (right-of-way) to determine the underground conditions along the future subway corridor.
- Lane closures along McCowan Road, Borough Drive, Progress Avenue, Danforth Road and Eglinton Avenue East will be in effect for the duration of the geotechnical work.
- Survey crews will also be in place to determine the exact location of surface and underground infrastructure.
- Geotechnical works along this corridor began in October 2016, and are expected to continue until December 2017.
- General survey works will also take place along the corridor this fall until the end of the year.
- Geotechnical and survey works will be conducted between the hours of approximately 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- The work areas will be restored with sod and/or asphalt where required in the spring and summer of 2017.
What to expect
- Lane closures can be expected with this work. Equipment and work trucks will be present along the subway alignment as crews move from one borehole to the next.
- Drilling crews will be at each borehole location for approximately six weeks.
- Temporary spray paint markings will be used in the road and sidewalk.
- You may experience dust, noise and vibration related to drilling, saw-cutting, hydro-vaccing, and the use of heavy equipment. Efforts will be made to keep noise and dust levels to a minimum.
Traffic and Transit impacts
- Lane closures along McCowan Road, Borough Drive, Progress Avenue, Danforth Road and Eglinton Avenue East will be in effect between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the duration of the work. Work along these roads will take place outside of peak morning and afternoon traffic flow direction. For example southbound McCowan Road work will take place from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and northbound work from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 16 McCowan, 34 Eglinton East and 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket bus service will not be impacted.
- Pedestrian walkways and property access will be maintained at all times.
- As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Christina Joseph, Community Liaison Officer, 416-994-0923, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Information: scarboroughsubwayextension.ca
Elevator Alert: North York Centre Station, southbound platform to concourse, out of service until mid-March due to Presto installation.
Last updated Jan 23, 7:40 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service