2015-2018 Application period: Friday, May 15, 2015 to Friday, June 19, 2015, inclusive. Applications will not be accepted before May 15, 2015.
Deadline: First 175 applications, starting May 15, 2015 or June 19, 2015, whichever comes first.
The TTC Subway Musicians Auditions will be held at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) just outside the West End of the Food Building.
Auditions are held once every three (3) years, over three (3) days only as follows:
- Friday, August 21, 2015
- Saturday, August 22, 2015
- Sunday, August 23, 2015
- Performers must be 18 years of age or over.
- Each performance, whether single or duo, will audition for approximately 7 minutes and will perform a medley of a minimum of three (3) songs.
- Hand-held instruments are acceptable.
- TTC reserves the right to limit or restrict the use of specific instruments and musicians will be advised prior to auditions. Trumpets and certain electric guitar/bass and drums are instruments not suitable to the subway environment and applications will not be accepted.
Judges are selected from a wide range of musical and performance arts backgrounds as well as from technical and business areas of the entertainment industry. They include media celebrities, music educators, talent booking agents, as well as representatives from the Royal Conservatory of Music, jazz and various folk festivals.
Musicians will be judged on the basis of the following criteria:
- Stage presence
- Musical or performance talent
- Entertainment value
- Licences are issued to the top 74 highest scoring acts with one honorary member (for a total of 75 licences issued).
- Selected performers are required to pay a licence fee of $197.75 (includes HST). This fee partially covers TTC expenses.
- Licences are valid from October 8, 2015 to October 7, 2018.
- In the event that a licensed performer withdraws from the program, the next highest scoring musician will take their place.
- Performers play on a 3-day rotating schedule.
- A total of 25 subway stations are designated as performance locations.
Applying for a TTC Subway Musician Audition is easy and there is no cost to audition.
Get the latest Subway Musicians Auditions Application Package.
Read and understand the TTC Subway Musicians Program Auditions 2015-2018 Application Package.
The package includes:
- Single Performance Application
- Duo Performance Application
- TTC Rules and Regulations Regarding Subway Musicians Program Auditions 2015-2018, Selection Process, Acknowledgement and Release
- Subway Musician Judges Score Sheet - Sample
- TTC Subway Musicians Licence Agreement - Sample
Applicants can apply for only one audition either as a Single Performance or with a partner as a Duo Performance;
- Read and sign the appropriate Performance Application form.
- Read and sign TTC Rules and Regulations Regarding TTC Subway Musicians Program Auditions 2015-2018, Selection Process, Acknowledgement and Release
Keep for your information and reference:
Judges Score Sheet - Sample
TTC Subway Musicians Licence Agreement - Sample
If you are using our online TTC Subway Musicians Auditions application form, please complete and print the form. The Rules and Regulations will automatically print out along with the completed application form. Both documents must be signed.
Note you cannot save and submit the online form electronically.
Completed Subway Musicians Auditions Application packages may be delivered Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or mailed to the following address:
Subway Musicians Auditions
Toronto Transit Commission
1900 Yonge Street
Applications must be received no later than June 19, 2015. Please note that a maximum of 175 applications will be accepted.
First 175 applicants will have the chance to audition and will be advised of their audition date and time by mail during the week of August 3, 2015.
All auditions take place at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE), Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario.
The TTC Audition site is located just outside the northwest corner of the Food Building and is easily accessible from either the Bathurst streetcar loop or the Dufferin Gates.
Upon arrival at the CNE on your scheduled day of audition, applicants will:
- Sign-in at the TTC Audition Registration Desk;
- Photo identification is required
- The following are examples of valid photo identification:
- valid driver’s license
- provincial health card with photo
- permanent resident card
- citizenship card
- aboriginal identification card
- Sign CNE and TTC waivers
After check-in, musicians will be directed to the Warm-up Tent where they can relax and warm-up prior to the audition. Staff will be on-site to explain auditions and direct musicians to the stage.
Applicants will be judged by the Audition Committee based on the following criteria:
- Musical Talent;
- Entertainment Value and,
- Stage Presence
Applicants must perform a sample of a minimum of three (3) songs and will be allowed a total time of seven (7) minutes for their performance.
All applicants who have auditioned will be advised by mail, of their audition scores and whether or not they qualify for a licence during the week of September 29, 2015.
The top 74 scoring acts will be offered the opportunity to obtain a license to play in the TTC subway system.
Licensed musicians must:
- Attend an information session to be scheduled for early October;
- Pay a licence fee of $197.75 (includes HST) per musician. (This fee partially covers TTC audition expenses);
- Attend an information session during which they must sign and pick-up the Musicians Licence Agreement.
In the event that a licensed performer withdraws from the program the next highest scoring musician will be offered the resulting vacancy.