Minutes of the Previous Meeting
Commission Meeting Minutes
Meeting No. 1893
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
A special meeting of the Toronto Transit Commission was held in the Council Chamber, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario on Thursday, February 14, 2008 commencing at 3:05 p.m.
A. Giambrone (Chair), J. Mihevc (Vice-Chair), B. Saundercook, G. De Baeremaeker, S. Bussin and A. Perruzza (Commissioners), G. Webster (Chief General Manager), R. Cornacchia (General Manager – Operations), J. Sepulis (General Manager – Engineering & Construction), B. Leck (General Counsel), A. Smith (Chief Marketing Officer), M. Anders (Marketing Research Director), W. Buffett (Assistant General Secretary) and F. Stanois (Coordinator – Secretariat Services) were present.
A. Giambrone was in the Chair.
Declaration of Interest - Municipal Conflict of Interest
Chair Giambrone moved that the Commission waive section 13a of its procedural by-law in order that public presentations could be made by those individuals who did not meet the registration deadline of 12:00 noon the day prior to the meeting.
The motion by Chair Giambrone carried.
Minutes of the Previous Meetings
Business Arising Out of Minutes
Committee of the Whole ResolutionNIL
a) Revisions to U-Pass Policy Framework
Ryerson Students Union
Vice-President of Finance and Services
Ryerson Students Union, Local 24
Canadian Federation of Students
Commissioner of Academic Issues
Student Association of George Brown College
University of Toronto, St. Georges Campus
The Commission received the deputations.
Notice of MotionsNIL
Motions Without NoticeNIL
Items of Which Notice has Previously Been GivenNIL
Items Deferred From Last Meeting to Permit Debate/Public PresentationNIL
Reports with Confidential Attachments (Committee of the Whole)
Procurement Authorization Amendments
Notice of Awards
1. Revisions to U-Pass Policy Framework
M. Anders, Marketing Research Director gave an overhead slide presentation entitled, “U-Pass Briefing to TTC Commission” dated February 14, 2008.
The Commission received the presentation.
Chair Giambrone moved that the Commission approve the staff recommendations embodied in the report, as listed below:
“It is recommended that the Commission consider on a case-by-case basis the merits and impacts of exceptions proposed by post-secondary institutions to the approved U-Pass policy framework. It is further recommended that based on the estimated financial impacts, that the Commission approve the exceptions to the current U-Pass policy framework proposed by the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC), and negotiations continue within the revised policy framework.”
Chair Giambrone moved the following ancillary motions:
1. Staff, the Chair and Vice-Chair continue negotiations specifically with University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) with the objective of holding a referendum in March 2008 and implementing the U-Pass program in September 2008 under the following terms and conditions:
A) Mandatory participation by all full-time and part-time students at UTSC with no opt-outs;
B) Monthly price is held at $60 until may 2010;
C) U-Pass is semester based and is offered for 3 semesters per year;
D) U-Pass is a non-transferable pass containing a photo;
E) An agreement is reached with UTSC on the sharing of incremental production costs associated with offering the U-Pass on a semester basis;
F) Access is provided to commuter parking lots on the same basis as regular Metropass users; and
G) The TTC will conduct regular rider counts on routes serving UTSC and regularly adjust service levels on those routes within a reasonable time to meet demand, as determined by TTC loading standards.
2. the Chair, Vice-Chair and staff continue discussions with GO Transit and York Region Transit (YRT) with the objective of finalizing their participation in the U-Pass program, recognizing that both organizations have now agreed, in principle, to offer service in the U-Pass program based on approval at the staff level, noting that the participation of GO Transit will be limited to full-time students.
3. Staff be directed to continue working with Durham Region Transit with the objective of providing improved service to UTSC which could include better integration of service between the transit properties or the provision of additional service.
4. Staff be directed to finalize the draft Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UTSC as soon as is possible, with this document setting out the key terms and conditions of the U-Pass agreement with UTSC.
5. Any institution that successfully passes a referendum prior to the end of 2008 will have the monthly price held at $60 until May 2010.
The motions by Chair Giambrone carried.
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
TTC Board MembersChair Adam Giambrone
Vice-Chair Joe Mihevc
Commissioner Sandra Bussin
Commissioner Glenn De Baeremaeker
Commissioner Suzan Hall
Commissioner Peter Milczyn
Commissioner Anthony Perruzza
Commissioner Bill Saundercook
Commissioner Michael Thompson