July 15, 2011

TTC customers have a chance to take a ride into history on the vintage PCC streetcar, which makes its return to the 509 Harbourfront streetcar route this summer.

The classic burgundy-and-cream-coloured streetcar can be boarded from about 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., every Sunday, until Labour Day. Regular TTC fares apply for the trip back in time.

The 509 Harbourfront service runs from Union Station to Exhibition Place, providing a scenic view along Queens Quay West. It makes stops near many tourist destinations on Toronto’s waterfront, such as the Ferry Docks, York Quay Centre, Redpath Stage, The Power Plant and numerous other attractions.

PCC FAST FACTS
• PCC stands for Presidents’ Conference Committee.
• The PCC streetcar era began in 1938 when the first PCC rolled into service on the St. Clair streetcar route.
• The original 140-car order of PCC streetcars (the largest order in North America in 1938) cost the TTC $3 million. By 1945, 290 of the “streamliners” were running on most routes in Toronto.
• In 1957, after acquiring hundreds of second-hand PCCs from various U.S. cities, the TTC boosted its fleet size to 745 cars, which was the largest in the world.
• With the opening of the Bloor-Danforth Subway in 1966, and the arrival of CLRV and ALRV streetcars (fleets in service today) in the 1980s, PCC streetcars were gradually retired from service.
• The last two PCC streetcars were retired from revenue service in 1995.
• Length: 14.2 metres.
• Height: 3.1 metres.
• Weight: 16,964.4 kilograms.
• Seats: 46.

 

View all articles from July