TTC eco-friendly facts for your clean-air commute on June 8
June 8, 2011
TTC customers are making every day a clean-air day in Toronto. In recognition of National Clean Air Day, today, Wednesday, June 8, here are some fast facts to consider on your next transit trip:
• Each work day, more than 1.5 million customers ride the system, which results in nearly one million fewer trips by car – that equals less greenhouse gas emissions.
• In 2010, the TTC set an all-time record of 477.3 million rides, surpassing 2009’s record of 471.2 million.
• In 2010, the TTC operated 694 diesel/electric hybrid buses. Hybrid buses make up close to 40 per cent of the fleet.
• More than 97 per cent of the TTC bus fleet is equipped with bicycle racks.
• The TTC’s 30 commuter parking lots (nearly 14,000 spaces) help to shorten car trips, and attract commuters onto public transit.
• Estimated number of cars that a TTC vehicle replaces during a typical morning rush hour:
- Bus: 45
- CLRV: 65
- ALRV: 95
- SRT train (four cars): 195
- Subway train (six cars): 890
[Figures are based on TTC loading standards for each mode divided by a.m. rush average automobile occupancy (1.12) for inbound trips to the city of Toronto.]
View all articles from June
Victoria Park: Elevator out of service between overpass, Victoria Park Ave entrance and concourse.
Last updated Jul 3, 6:39 PM
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.