TTC marks 30 billion rides
August 24, 2015
The TTC today officially marked 30 billion rides since it was established in 1921.
Grant Scott of Toronto was selected to represent the customer who made that 30 billionth trip. Mr. Scott is a long-time subscriber to the TTC's Metropass Discount Plan. The 30 billionth trip was made this August, the TTC estimates.
The TTC continues to set record ridership levels. In 2014, the TTC set an all-time record of 535 million rides. For 2015, the TTC expects another record-breaking year.
TTC Chair Josh Colle and TTC CEO Andy Byford presented Mr. Scott with a free Metropass for one year.
TTC Ridership Facts
- The TTC has the third largest ridership rate in all of North America – after Mexico City and New York City
- TTC ridership has increased each year for the last 11 years
- With 1.8 million customers on an average weekday, the TTC maintains a cost-recovery rate of more than 70 per cent – one of the highest on the continent
- With one billion trips taken every 22 months, the TTC will celebrate its 31 billionth trip in spring 2017
- Nearly 85 per cent of all local transit trips in the GTA are made on the TTC
View all articles from August
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.