TTC service changes to College St.
June 17, 2016
Starting Sun., June 19, TTC and City of Toronto crews will undertake work to improve sections of College St. between Bay St. and Lansdowne Ave. This work will be done in stages, and require road and intersection closures, causing several TTC routes to divert.
Work includes watermain upgrades, streetscape improvements and track reconstruction, as well as removal and reconstruction of streetcar platforms at Bathurst St. and at Bay St. to meet accessibility guidelines set out by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The road width of College St. at these two locations cannot accommodate wider platforms to appropriately serve TTC customers using mobility devices.
Sidewalk work will include accessibility modifications at streetcar stops within the work areas to better serve the new, low-floor TTC streetcars. When work is complete, customers will board the 506/306 Carlton streetcar from the sidewalk.
While most work will be done during the day, there will be some late evening and overnight work necessary to complete the project as quickly as possible and on time.
TTC service impacts are as follows:
June 20 – 26 - College St. at Bay St.:
City of Toronto crews will remove the streetcar platforms on College St. at Bay St. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- 506 Carlton weekday service will be split into two portions (east and west)
- Streetcars will be maintained on the eastern portion of the route during weekdays. Streetcars will operate between Main Street Station and the downtown area, diverting to McCaul loop via Parliament and Queen Sts.
- Shuttle buses will replace 506 Carlton streetcars on the western portion of the route, operating both ways on College St. between Keele Station and the downtown area. While buses will divert around the College/Bathurst intersection as shown in the map below, buses will continue to run through the College/Bay intersection during the median removal work.
- Overnight and on weekends, the entire 506/306 Carlton route will be operated by shuttle buses.
Lane restrictions will be removed on Mon., June 27.
June 20 – July 12 – College St. and Bathurst St. intersection:
The intersection of College and Bathurst Sts. will be completely closed from Mon., June 20 to Tues., July 12 as City and TTC crews replace streetcar tracks, remove the eastbound streetcar platform and reconstruct the westbound streetcar platform to meet AODA guidelines. City of Toronto watermain work on Lansdowne Ave. south of College St., which began June 13, will continue throughout this period.
- 511 Bathurst streetcars will be replaced by shuttle buses, which will divert via Harbord St., Spadina Ave. and Dundas St. W.
- The 506 Carlton weekday route split will continue, with streetcars on the eastern portion of the route operating between Main Street Station and the downtown area weekdays, diverting to McCaul loop via Parliament and Queen Sts.
- 506 Carlton streetcars will be converted to buses on the western portion of the route during weekdays. Buses will operate both ways on College St. between Keele Station and the downtown area, and will divert around the intersection closure both ways via Spadina Ave., Harbord St. and Ossington Ave.
- Overnight and on weekends, the entire 506/306 Carlton route will be operated by shuttle buses and will follow the same diversion around the intersection.
- The 47 Lansdowne bus diverts southbound via Dundas St. W., Dufferin St. and Queen St. W. Northbound buses will operate normally.
July 13 – 24 and Aug. 9 - Oct. 8 - Lansdowne Ave. south of College St.:
During this period, City of Toronto watermain work will continue on Lansdowne Ave. south of College St.
- From July 13 to July 24, 511/310 Bathurst streetcars will be replaced by shuttle buses, which will divert via Harbord St., Spadina Ave. and Dundas St. W. Streetcars will operate normally during the Aug. 9 – Oct. 8 period.
- The 47 Lansdowne bus continues to divert southbound via Dundas St. W., Dufferin St. and Queen St. W. Northbound buses will operate normally.
- 506/306 Carlton service continues to operate as a split service on weekdays, and as buses along the entire route overnight and on weekends.
July 25 - Aug. 8 – College St. and Lansdowne Ave. intersection:
Track reconstruction will take place at the intersection of College St. and Lansdowne Ave.
- 511/310 Bathurst streetcars will be replaced by shuttle buses until July 30. Streetcars will return to the route July 31.
- The 47 Lansdowne bus will divert southbound via Bloor St. W., Dufferin St. and Queen St. W. Northbound buses will divert via Dundas St. W., Dufferin St. and Bloor St. W.
- 506/306 Carlton service continues to operate as a split service on weekdays, and as buses along the entire route overnight and on weekends. Service will divert around the intersection both ways via Dufferin St. and Dundas St. W. 506/306 streetcars resume service on Oct. 9 when the other City projects on College St. are complete.
Proof-of-payment is in effect on shuttle buses operating on streetcar routes. PRESTO users should carry an alternate form of payment, such as tokens, cash or tickets, as not all buses are equipped with PRESTO as the TTC continues to transition to the new farecard system, which will see PRESTO on all buses and at all subway stations by the end of this year.
The TTC thanks customers, residents and local businesses for their patience during this necessary infrastructure and modernization work to improve transit service in Toronto.
View all articles from June
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.