Bus stop improvements
Construction is starting at various locations across the city
Work description and purpose
TTC is undertaking a city-wide program to upgrade up to 2500 bus stops. These improvements will make many more stops accessible to customers using mobility devices, as well as accommodate articulated buses and bring the stops to a state of good repair. In some instances, new concrete pads will be constructed where none existed before.
Crews across the city will be making improvements to some bus stops, where required. Each location requires different work, such as:
- Building new concrete pads at bus stops where none existed before.
- Reconstructing bus stop pads to bring them to a state of good repair.
- Widening bus stop concrete pads to allow the deployment of the ramp to serve customers using mobility devices.
- Extending bus stop concrete pads to accommodate the longer articulated buses.
- Relocating some stops (within the City right-of-way) to an area where they can be better accommodated or relocating stops closer to a signalised intersection for safety reasons.
Each bus stop will take a few days and in some cases a week or two to complete, pending site conditions and weather.
Construction impacts may include:
- Noise associated with construction.
- Lane reductions to allow crews to work safely.
- Dust and noise related to saw cutting.
- Minor excavation within the City right-of-way in order to lengthen the stop‘s concrete pad.
- Minor utility relocation in some areas.
- Some tree removal and protection.
- The City may temporarily remove, relocate or install City street furniture (i.e. shelters, bike rings, benches, litter bins).
Efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum.
The majority of the work will take place during the day and construction will be avoided during peak periods where possible. Some overnight and weekend work may be required during the course of this project.
- During construction, stops will be taken out of service and temporary stops will be placed nearby.
- “Out of Service” signs will be installed and temporary stop markers will be posted.
- Improvements will be made to some bus stops along the following TTC routes:
TTC Bus Route - Construction Schedule Start Dates
- 53 Steeles East - November/December 2017
- 85 Sheppard East - April 2018
- 36 Finch West - May 2018
- 191 Highway 27 Rocket - May 2018
- 96 Wilson - May 2018
- 60 Steeles West - May 2018
- 41 Keele - May 2018
- 7 Bathurst - May 2018
- 39 Finch East - June 2018
See the Bus Stop Improvements notice here.
35,41,60,84,106,107,108 & 195 bus routes bypassing Pioneer Village Station due to labour action at York University. See ttc.ca for info.
Last updated 7:49 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service