Chester Station - second exit/entrance and Easier Access project update
Repaving and restoration starting May 25 for 5 weeks - overall project scheduled for completion in 2021
For background information, please visit the project page.
Construction Update - May 19, 2020
Repaving and Restoration
What we are doing and why?
Work is progressing well on the elevator installation at Chester Station. The next phase of activities involves the restoration of the Easier Access work zone around the main station. The work is scheduled to begin as early as May 25, 2020 for approximately 5 weeks.
In order to safely proceed with this work, the walkway north of Chester Station will be closed for the duration of the restoration.
What to expect
- Work activities will include grading, repaving of the walkway and parking lot as well as the enclosed portion in front of the main doors.
- The walkway north of the station will not be accessible for the duration of work.
- Upon completion of the work, the parking lot behind the main station will be restored and 11 parking spaces will be available.
Transit service at the station will be maintained.
Construction Update - February 11, 2020
What we are doing and why?
Work on the secondary entrance/exit for Chester Station has been progressing and the next phase of construction is set to commence.
In order to safely proceed with the next phase of activities, the walkway north of the work zone must be closed.
The pedestrian walkway will be rerouted through the south end of the TPA lot. The shift will be in place as early as February 18, 2020 until the end of the year.
Signage and lighting will be installed to guide pedestrians along the rerouted walkway.
Thank you for your patience.
Work description and purpose
As part of the TTC’s commitment to safety and modernization, Chester Station (on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth) will be getting a second exit/automatic entrance to improve customer safety and convenience. The TTC Board unanimously approved the Local Working Group’s recommended Second Exit location in the northwest corner of the Toronto Parking Authority lot (29 Chester Avenue). Second Exit/Entrance construction is scheduled for completion in 2021 The TTC’s Easier Access Program makes stations accessible with the addition of new elevators (at the main entrance). To minimize the duration of overall construction, TTC will build the Chester Station Easier Access project at the same time as the Second Exit project. Elevators will be in service in 2020.
- Activities will include the excavation, shoring and concrete pouring.
- Noise and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. The contractor will work to keep both to a minimum.
- Work hours are scheduled Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Some weekend work may be required at times. Some delivery of equipment and materials will take place after 7 p.m.
Pedestrian, Cycling and Vehicular Access
- Access to the main entrance of Chester Station will be maintained during construction.
- The pedestrian walkway north of the station will remain accessible as long as safely possible during construction.
- The Bike Share station north of the station will remain accessible as long as safely possible during construction.
- Vehicular traffic will be maintained on Chester Avenue.
- Two-way traffic on Arundel Avenue will be permitted up to the parking lot entrance only.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit accessibility and safety at Chester Station.
For further information:
Niki Angelis, Community Liaison, 416-981-1532, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service