Lake Shore Boulevard West from Islington Avenue to east of Royal York Road - track maintenance
Rescheduled to start June 16, 2021 for about a week
What we are doing and why
Starting June 16 weather permitting, for approximately one week, TTC track crews will be conducting multiple local concrete and rail repairs within the streetcar track lanes on Lake Shore Boulevard West between Islington Avenue and just east of Royal York Road. There will be three local concrete repairs on the east side of Lake Shore Boulevard by Islington Avenue, between Fourth Street and Third Street, and by Second Street. Repairs will also include the replacement of rail in three areas on the west side of Lake Shore Boulevard by First Street and just east of Royal York Road.
All work activities will be contained within the track area and will include: breaking and excavation of concrete.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the multiple local work zones for the duration of the work.
- Street parking will not be affected during these repairs.
- The location of the multiple work zones may inhibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and the work zones will be cleared after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- A track crew will set up the work zones at approximately 5 a.m. on the first day of the work. At 7 a.m. crews will begin cutting into the concrete and at 8 a.m., localized excavation and concrete milling will begin in order to expose the rail to be replaced, which will end nightly by 10 p.m.
- While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Saturday morning.
501/301 Queen Route
- Buses are currently operating in place of streetcars on Lake Shore Boulevard West.
- Bus service will be maintained through the work zones.
Thank you for your patience as we make these important repairs to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information:
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 647-468-4183
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service